Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Culture Change, i.e. Furgeson

Photo credit: Kerry Perry from breitbart.com

A community organizer training the mustering Ferguson rioters says, "...we’re not going to get change in this society unless white people are just a little bit afraid..." 
Change society? 
Fundamentally change America? 
Familiar words, and any reasonable person should be willing to change the things that are wrong; however, we've seen a lot of change in the last 6 years that most reasonable people would never have hoped for. 
No reasonable American would have for hoped the national debt to double with no end in sight;
No reasonable American would have for hoped for a 30 year low in employment;
No reasonable American would have for hoped for the dollar to have lost its place in international commerce;
No reasonable American would have hoped for our enemies to become so bold and rampant as to publish videos of them killing our citizens;
No reasonable American would have hoped for Benghazi, Fast and Furious, and throngs of Americans losing their jobs because of an "affordable care act" that was marketed on a series of lies;
No reasonable American would have hoped for us to alienate our most important and longest standing Arab allies, Egypt and Saudi Arabia, nor to reignite the old Cold War with Russia;
No reasonable American would have hoped that community organizers would boldly declare their goal is to make white people afraid and then to have nobody resist the effort.
I don't know about everybody else, but I'm a little tired of these types of changes.
And another thing, since I'm on a rant.
Fear is a hell of thing.
The early settlers of this land were afraid of wolves, bears, and a few other things. We don't have to worry about those things today, because previous generations removed those threats. The only place most of us have seen bears and wolves are in zoos or via some visual media. There are still some left wandering around, but most of them know to leave people alone. However, we still have some things to fear. 
Like you, I'm a little afraid of the flu virus. I wash my hands often, use spray disinfectant, and hand sanitizer when washing isn't possible. All those things take a little of my time, but I surrender it willingly in the hope that I won't come down with the flu, which could kill me.
Like you, I'm a little afraid of black widow and brown recluse spiders. They've been known to kill, but usually they just hurt you. I don't like being hurt. Besides keeping an eye out for them, I often apply insecticides on and around my property. Additionally, I regularly employ interior-appropriate insecticides in my home. Those poisons work well on other undesirable pests, but I know I have to remain persistent, and persistence is a price I'm willing to pay.
There are other things we're a little afraid of. If we're thinking people, we've taken mitigation measures for all of those things; at least, I know I have. Yes, it takes some resources and time, but we should willingly surrender those in hopes of avoiding the loss we might suffer if we don't. 
Don't make us afraid of you. 
No reasonable American should ever again passively nod in agreement when somebody says we need to change society, until they explain the details. 
We're not that stupid anymore, are we?

No comments:

Post a Comment